Children and Teens
General Counselling Support
Counselling is a special time for you to feel seen, heard and understood as we explore whatever is worrying you.
You may choose to just address your most pressing concerns, or decide to look more deeply beneath the surface to address the “why” behind these concerns
An initial consultation will give you an opportunity to express your parenting concerns. We will look at your child’s development history, and I can support you in defining your parenting goals.
I can help you to:
- Develop strategies to achieve your parenting goals
- Build closer relationships with your children (from toddlers to adults)
- Learn how to calm anxiety and help regulate your children’s emotional outbursts
- Support your children’s social, emotional, physical, behavioural and academic learning
Circle of Security
Circle of Security Parenting is a relationship-based parenting program. It’s never too late to learn new ways of parenting.
This program can help you to:
- Understand the meaning behind those tantrums and meltdowns
- Build a closer connection with your children
- Learn alternatives to time-outs, “consequences”, withdrawal of privilege and other punishment-based strategies
- Raise securely attached children who are ready to learn
Securely attached children generally
- Do better in school
- Are more able to regulate their emotions
- Have happier and closer relationships with their parents
- Form better friendships
- Enjoy improved health
Thoughtful Parenting Program
Parenting is the most important job that any of us will ever do. It’s not always easy, and some days can be very disheartening. Others can be very rewarding.
This program aims to bring parents together in a small group to share experiences. Each session will follow a different theme.
Miscarriage and Infant Loss
The impact of such a loss can be difficult to share with friends and family, and the depth of grief can at times seem overwhelming.
I am an accredited provider with the Foundation for Infant Loss and can offer empathy and understanding that comes from personal experience with both miscarriage and infant loss
Children and Teens
General Counselling Support
A special time for your child to feel seen, heard and understood as we work through issues that are worrying them.
Looking beneath the surface of behaviours will help us to address the “why” behind learning difficulties, emotional outbursts and mood swings.
The first step is to meet with you to discuss your concerns, and we can decide on the best way to help your child.
School Readiness Assessment
Suitable for 4 to 6 year olds starting school.
Your child may seem ready, but are they really? Classroom learning requires the ability to sit still, focus and pay attention, as well as good communication skills.
Your child’s learning will benefit from a strong foundation of gross and fine motor skills, social development, emotional regulation, listening and other sensory processing.
Learning Difficulties Assessment
Suitable for school-age children and teens, from 6 years of age
Is your child unhappy at school?
Are they struggling with:
- Anxiety, headaches and/or tummy aches in the morning before school
- Learning difficulties
- Reading, writing, spelling, written expression, and other classroom activities
- Social skills and making friends
- Maintaining focus and concentration in the classroom
- Getting into trouble for “acting out” at school?
- Fidgeting and restlessness
- Emotional regulation, often having outbursts of anger or frustration
- Mood swings, acting out or shutting down
- Balance and coordination
- Signs of ADHD, dyslexia, autism
- Difficulties with auditory and other sensory processing
The issue could be gaps or immaturities in early stages of development.
An assessment can help to identify the “why” behind your child’s struggles in school. Once we know what is happening, we can work together to address underlying issues, supporting your child’s learning, not only for tomorrow in the classroom, but for life.
The Extra Lesson
This is a developmental movement program designed to address underlying issues that contribute to your child’s learning and behavioural difficulties.
It is an evidence-based, drug-free and non-invasive support program for children with signs of dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, ASD, and difficulties with reading, spelling, maths and other classroom learning.
The program usually involves weekly visits, with a short home exercise program.
You know your child can hear, but how well can they listen, or process what they are hearing?
Could any of these describe your child?
- Often say “huh” or “what” or “can you repeat that”
- Often in his or her own world, away with the fairies
- Easily distracted, especially if there are background sounds
- Delayed or unclear speech
- History of ear infections
- Poor voice control – often too loud, soft, or monotone
- Difficulty with written or verbal expression – bringing thoughts to words
- Easily startled by sudden sounds
- Difficulty with reading, writing, spelling, comprehension
- Avoids crowds, dislikes socialising
- Anxiety, nervousness
- Poor self esteem
- Difficulty focussing and paying attention
- Poor at phonics – deciphering small blocks of sounds
Difficulties with listening, or auditory processing, could be the problem, and are often linked to learning challenges such as dyslexia, ADHD, poor communication and social skills.
An evidenced-based program using specially filtered music to train the brain to process sounds.
Gains can be seen in improved concentration and attention, reading and other classroom learning, communication, social skills and general sensory motor development.
Your first 15 minute phone consultation is FREE.