Bringing to therapy the depth of understanding that comes from lived experience
My story began when my daughter started school. She would cling to me on arrival, then, when I picked her up in the afternoon, she would yell angrily and kick the back of my seat in the car.
Threats of punishment did nothing to calm the situation, and I was completely at a loss to know what to do. Looking for answers, I came across The Extra Lesson, a program that addresses behaviours and learning difficulties by identifying gaps in early stages of development. We did the program together, and everything started to change.
I now realise this behaviour was her way of expressing some really big feelings that were beyond words.
Since 2005 I have been offering this program locally, and have been privileged to meet many wonderful children. The changes in their behaviours and learning have been quite remarkable, and their parents have been delighted with the results.
Feeling the need to offer more support to parents, I completed post-graduate training in Holistic Counselling and Psychotherapy in 2017. During this time I explored the strong, but often overlooked, links between stress during infancy and early childhood, and later learning and behavioural challenges.
Combining counselling skills with my background in child development means I can offer parenting support based on a broad view of understanding the “why” behind challenging behaviours. My aim is to help parents build closer connections with their children, through learning what these behaviours might really mean. The goal is calmer children and happier families.
Circle of Security Parenting
One way of achieving this is through the Circle of Security Parenting program. Parents completing this course have commented on positive changes in their relationships with their children, as they grow in awareness and understanding.
Our children’s behaviours are bringing us a message, and it is up to us to learn how to read them. I would love to hear from anyone who is feeling confused, as I was, and is looking for answers.
You are not alone, and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
- Post-graduate studies in Holistic Counselling and Psychotherapy with the Metavision Institute (2017)
- Accredited Provider with the Foundation for Infant Loss (2018) supporting families experiencing miscarriage and infant loss
- Registered Circle of Security Facilitator (2018) offering early intervention for parents and children
- Certificate in Holistic Counselling Skills with the Metavision Institute (2015)
- Certificate IV in Disability (2013)
- Master of Education, CSU (2012) – post-graduate research into reading difficulties
- Certificate in Extra Lesson (2009) – post-graduate study in understanding and ad-dressing learning difficulties
- Registered Integrated Listening Systems Practitioner (20007) offering listening as-sessments and iLs listening programs
- Member of the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA).
- Conference Presentation – International Conference on Childhood Trauma, Melbourne (2018) – paper based on my research exploring links between stress and trauma in infancy and early childhood, developmental delay, learning difficulties and challenging behaviours.
Autism, Anxiety, No Friends, Academic Delay and Meltdowns.
Kevin, aged 8, was struggling with tears, crying, meltdowns and anxiety at school. His parents reported that he was often angry and frustrated and was unable to interact socially. He was also behind academically. The gentle, no-pressure approach during Kevin’s weekly visits allowed him to gradually develop social and communication skills, to relax and self-regulate his anxious behaviour.
After 9 months his parents reported that there were no more meltdowns at school, he was much happier and more confident, and he had made a friend. He was also performing well academically.
Free 15 Minute Consultation
Your first 15 minute phone consultation is FREE. We can talk about what is concerning you, and you can decide if you would like to book in for a session.